KEEPING AT-RISK KIDS IN SCHOOL? IT’S SCIENCE
Ashford University Donating $20K to STEM CampUs After-School All-Stars
***LIVE: Kids To Demonstrate “Balloon-Powered Cars” Engineering Project
WHO/WHAT: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is the core of today’s economy. Virtually all of the fastest growing occupations in the next decade require some background in these fields. But a 2011 report by the National Science Foundation reveals that minorities make up only 9 percent of college graduates working in science and engineering occupations.
To close that educational and opportunity gap, Ashford University is donating $20,000 to the After-School All-Stars‘ 2014 STEM CampUs summer program. The innovative high school and college readiness program works with junior high school students at risk of dropping out of high school. In 2012, 96 percent of STEM CampUs students received passing grades in math during their first semester of 9th grade and all of those students were on track to be promoted to the 10th grade on time.
“After-School All-Stars is a great program providing educational and enrichment opportunities to the children of our community. By offering this generous donation on behalf of Ashford University, we are doing our part to give back to the community we serve,” said Tom Ashford, After-School All-Stars Boardmember and Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer for Bridgepoint Education.
WHEN: Monday, April 21, 2014
3:30 p.m. Check Presentation/ Science Project Demonstration
WHERE: Keiller Leadership Academy
(Lemon Grove, Near Jamacha Road and 125)
- San Diego After-School All-Stars (ASAS) kids benefit from increased confidence and success in all areas of their lives – at home, in school and in the community – through programs that incorporate academic assistance, independent learning, enrichment activities and sports.
- ASAS serves more than 25 schools with comprehensive after-school programming in San Diego County keeping the community’s youth safe while nurturing their minds.
- Tyree Dillingham, Executive Director, San Diego After-School All-Stars
- Tom Ashbrook, Board Member, San Diego After-School All-Stars; Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Bridgepoint Education
- Ashford University check presentation to After-School All-Stars
- STEM CampUs students live engineering project demonstration: Balloon-Powered Cars
# # #